Minimum Energy Efficiency Standard Regulations (MEES)
MINIMISE AND MANAGE RISK
The Energy Efficiency (Private Rented Property), (England and Wales) Regulations 2015 come into effect on 1st April 2018 and will impact both Landlords and Tenants.
Ensure that your assets are compliant with the regulations
From the 1 April 2018, the Energy Efficiency (private rented sector), (England and Wales) Regulations 2015, commonly referred to as MEES, come into effect. MEES make it unlawful for commercial properties with an F or G Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) rating to be let. Furthermore, from the 1st April 2023 landlords may not continue to let a non-compliant commercial property. Recent research has shown that potentially up to 50% of all commercial properties are either non-compliant or are rated D and E and these would be considered to be in the danger zone when new EPCs are required.
To ensure compliance you will need to:
- Understand the regulations and EPCs,
- Undertake a strategic review of your portfolio,
- Determine what actions are required,
- Identify the appropriate time to undertake required improvement works in light of the upcoming 2023 deadline for existing lettings,
- Appreciate what impact undertaking works will have upon your other Tenants and plan accordingly,
- Understand the impact of the regulations on potential future service charge contributions, dilapidations and ability to sub-let premises.
Our multi-disciplinary team can advise on the correct strategy to ensure compliance with the regulations. Our services include:
- Undertaking a review of your portfolio and advise on any required steps to ensure compliance with the regulations,
- Reviewing EPC information and undertake inspections in order to recommend what improvement works should be considered,
- Design, tendering and managing any construction works required to ensure compliance with the regulations,
- Provide advice as to whether any exemptions from the regulations would apply,
- Assess the impact of the regulations on any potential dilapidations claim for both Landlords and Tenants.
The benefits to you
As a multi-disciplined company we are able to provide the following benefits:
- We have strong technical knowledge on construction technology, building pathology, the wider property market and the legislation,
- We have extensive experience in managing construction projects from inception to completion,
- Our regional coverage means that you have access to local market knowledge wherever you are in the UK,
- We provide an integrated approach utilising the strength and depth of various experts within our company to provide a rounded strategy,