Retail Market Focus Q3 2020
Our quarterly retail report provides an update on the UK consumer, plus an overview of the latest occupier and investment trends.
Key findings include:
- After tentative signs of recovery in Q3, a second national lockdown and enforced closure of non-essential stores brings renewed pressure to the retail market ahead of the crucial festive trading season
- The first half of 2020 saw a record number of store closures and further occupier fallout is inevitable as operators continue to rationalise store portfolios
- Investors are eyeing up buying opportunities as yields head higher but a lack of debt financing remains a major obstacle
- Foodstores and retail warehousing account for three quarters of total investment in 2020 (Q1-Q3), as these assets prove more resilient to the impacts of the pandemic
- New flexible planning reforms, which came into effect in September, will help facilitate the repositioning of high street assets and support investment in mixed-use communities