British WaterwaysSecuring future income for British Waterways British Waterways has a requirement to invest circa £15m between 2011 and 2012 and to generate long term, secure income to help fund the management and maintenance of the nation’s historic network of canals and rivers
- Location Acquisitions in the Midlands with a national instruction
- Key figures 4 purchases, 206,381 sq ft, £19,060,000 total value, spend circa £15m in 2011 to 2012
- Contact Thomas Eagleton, +44 (0) 121 237 1253
- We have delivered £800k of future income whilst also supporting the client in rebalancing its portfolio
- British Waterways has made four commercial property assets investments in the Midlands with yields of 5.5% or over in an 8 month period, including; two warehouse distribution units, a Travelodge hotel and a multi-let office.
- The challenge was to find commercial investments based on very tight geographical constraints that were located on or adjoining a waterway that the client either managed or controlled. Therefore a lot of the work was done off market to unlock the right opportunities.
What we did
- The client's requirements were broad in that it was seeking commercial income producing assets with a return of 5.5% or more, through all sectors, but the assets needed to be adjacent to its operational undertakings
- We mobilised our national network of investment agents and responded on a national basis to the client's requirements, identifying a key contact in each of our offices to drive the search, resulting in 67 opportunities being identified
- Each opportunity was reviewed individually, including covenant strength, market conditions and future potential
- Recommendations were given to the client and numerous off market approaches made
- We introduced our Building Consultancy and Valuation teams to complete the building surveys and valuations respectively
- A viability report was written on each of the prioritised assets
- Competitive bids were made and the investment teams managed the acquisition process.